ABOUT MELCHER MEDIA
Founded in 1993, Melcher Media works with leading brands (Lexus, Facebook, PepsiCo, and Microsoft), media companies (Netflix, HBO, Condé Nast, and NBCUniversal), and individual authors (Oprah Winfrey, Garth Brooks, J.J. Abrams, and Lin-Manuel Miranda) to help them tell their stories via innovative, tactile, and impeccably produced illustrated books. Our decades of experience have propelled 31 of our titles onto the New York Times best seller list, accumulated sales of over 143 million copies, and garnered numerous industry design awards. As Melcher Media expands into the digital arena, our projects have evolved beyond the printed page, through websites, e-books, apps, and other forms of multimedia expression. Our employees are seasoned creative professionals who find inventive ways to connect big ideas with even bigger audiences.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
We are seeking a full-time Acquisitions Editor to join our team and help build our list of innovative, high-quality illustrated books. The ideal candidate will:
• Have a college degree and 5 to 10 years of experience in book acquisitions, ideally acquiring/developing illustrated books (some experience developing custom-published books is a definite plus).
• Have a demonstrated knowledge of and excitement for the categories of books that Melcher Media publishes.
• Research potential publication ideas, including new cultural trends.
• Use their strong editorial vision and networking skills to acquire approximately 8–10 new projects per year.
• Maintain a strong professional network of authors, agents, publishers, and other potential clients, and help foster and grow relationships with Melcher Media’s existing clients.
• Be able to develop and write thoroughly researched and compelling book proposals for sales to our publishing partners.
• Have incredible organizational and project management skills and be able to track a variety of tasks and deliverables.
• Thrive while working in a self-directed manner, while also collaborating with our senior management and editorial teams.
• Have impeccable editorial judgment, excellent developmental editing skills, and boundless curiosity and enthusiasm—and use it all to contribute to our culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
If your interest is piqued, please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think this job is a good fit for you to firstname.lastname@example.org.