FoST is about actively engaging—getting to be a part of a conversation rather than just a member of the audience. I felt privileged to be a part of those roundtables, and valuable new business is going to come from the connections I made there.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will work closely with FoST senior leadership to strategize and oversee all external-facing communication, and lead the day-to-day development of content and external-facing digital/social communication, including the company website, blog, and social media platforms. This is an exciting opportunity to help establish the official “FoST voice” across platforms, create fresh and engaging content, and help broaden FoST’s audience and media presence. Responsibilities will include:
• Strategizing FoST’s e-blast strategy, including announcements regarding registration and ticketing, the FoST Prize, external events and pop-ups, etc.
• Keeping track of various outreach lists and working with junior staff to write/execute e-blasts and invites
• Helping to publicize FoST speaker films and place them with appropriate media outlets
• Creating a communications strategy that specifically drives ticket sales for FoST FEST
• Ensuring new content and information is regularly updated on the FoST website, including managing the editorial calendar and tracking and measuring levels of engagement
• Commissioning original content from the FoST community for inclusion on the FoST blog and in the FoST newsletter
• Managing media contacts and communicating with FoST’s PR firm as necessary
• Planning communications/marketing for the next 6–12 months to support FoST’s vision and goals for the year, including supporting external events, pop-ups, collaborations, and partnerships
• Driving social media strategy and execution, including growing FoST’s follower base and engagement across platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
• Reaching out to city-wide cultural organizations, local government, etc.
Successful candidates will aspire to be a leader in the company’s marketing and communications efforts; be able to think quickly on their feet; be interested in live events; feel comfortable in a highly collaborative, team-oriented culture; have 5+ years of experience with marketing and communications strategy and execution; and come with the following:
• Exceptional writing skills and the ability to generate impactful content
• Sophisticated grasp of the evolving media and communications landscape
• Ability to manage timelines and collaborate effectively to execute campaigns on time
• Thorough understanding of and experience using social media for professional marketing/communications purposes, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media platforms
• Interest in and enthusiasm for new forms of storytelling, including VR/AR/MR, immersive theater, interactive gaming, etc.
This is a 3- to 6-month contracted position, approximately 20–40 hours per week, with the option for a full-time commitment or renewal of contract thereafter.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Do you love editing, writing, and leading creative teams on cutting-edge projects for some of the world’s biggest brands? Do you enjoy crafting innovative ideas and seeing them through to award-winning finished products? Do you love the craft of making illustrated books, but are as equally excited about being exposed to other media, such as apps, events, films, and websites? Are you a kick-ass editor/producer who thrives with a lot of balls in the air, doesn’t drop any, and stays calm and collected under pressure? Are you looking to join a fun team of storytelling Ninjas who are looking to change the world?
If you answered yes to these questions, we want to hear from you. We are Melcher Media, a leading producer of award-winning books and content. For more than 20 years we have been at the forefront of storytelling, publishing 23 New York Times best-sellers, twice winning Apple’s award for best designed app of the year, and garnishing numerous industry accolades for our print and digital titles. We’re known for developing the best and most innovative illustrated books in the industry, for some of the biggest names and most cutting-edge companies—from Al Gore, Larry David, and J.J. Abrams; to Lexus, Microsoft, and Nike, among many others. We also produce the prestigious Future of StoryTelling summit (fost.org). FoST is an annual by-invitation-only gathering devoted to exploring the evolution of storytelling in the digital age.
Basically, we do some really cool stuff, and we’re looking for an exceptionally bright and talented person to join our team as an illustrated book editor/producer. You will:
• Have a college degree and 5 to 10 years of experience in book publishing, ideally making illustrated books (some experience developing business books is a definite plus).
• Take a leadership role on many different kinds of book projects, from conceptualization to hiring, managing, and budgeting until final, on-time delivery.
• Edit content, which may range from captions to full manuscripts to project proposals.
• Use your strong visual sensibility to select and direct the creation of images, oversee designers, and conceptualize innovative formats.
• Work directly with new and existing clients to conceive, create, and deliver book projects, keeping them apprised of progress and ensuring that they are appropriately involved and happy with the creative process, and proud of the final results.
• Be adept at hiring and managing creative teams of writers, editors, designers, etc.
• Be interested in being exposed to other kinds of non-book projects such as apps, events, films, and websites.
• Be ambitious—an associate editor ready to take the lead as a full-fledged editor/project manager, or an editor who is ready for a senior editorial position—and ultimately someone who wants to grow into the position of editorial director.
• Possess a unique creative perspective, boundless curiosity, lots of energy and enthusiasm—and use it all to contribute to our culture of innovation and entrepreneurship.
If your interest is piqued, please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think this job is a good fit for you to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Future of StoryTelling is looking for an intrepid Web Editor and Social Media Manager who can bring a fresh and innovative content strategy and editorial style to the company’s online presence. This individual will lead a team of 4–5 blog contributors to research, produce, and edit original, compelling content. This individual will also oversee all social media channels and design and execute social media strategies that strengthen our existing online community, increase our number of followers, drive ticket sales, and promote original content. Superior copywriting skills, a catchy writing style, experience managing social media accounts, and a passion for the trends, people, and ideas that are shifting the media landscape are a must. Familiarity with SEO and web analytics is a strong plus. Connections in the media world are beneficial but not required.
The ideal candidate will
• Be familiar with publications that cover consumer technology, creative technology, digital culture, future trends, innovation, new media, and thought leadership;
• Possess curatorial instincts for what’s relevant to the FoST community;
• Be able to optimize, share, and repurpose content for all facets of FoST’s online presence—inclusive of the blog, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Vimeo, and Instagram—while simultaneously maintaining a unified voice and messaging;
• Maintain an active and engaged presence on all of the channels listed above;
• Establish milestones for editorial/social media success, track and organize progress, and prepare weekly/monthly reports on growth and traffic;
• Provide demonstrable examples of successful social media strategies that engage community and build buzz (your own or others);
• Be able to lead a team of contributors while also developing and encouraging their writing skills;
• Possess exceptional time management skills, including the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines; and
• Possess exceptional photo editing skills.
If your interest is piqued, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Melcher Media and the Future of StoryTelling (FoST) are looking for bright, talented, and enthusiastic interns who want to learn about the publishing industry, creative storytelling, and the annual FoST summit. This paid, temporary internship (3–12 months) provides an opportunity to work on the cutting edge of multiplatform storytelling with leading global brands. The experience is primarily designed to expose successful candidates to all facets of both companies, providing the opportunity to explore an editorial or design track (or both!), event production, social media, business development, and more, in an effort to acquire and hone new skills while deciding on the direction of your career.
Interns will be exposed to some or all of the following:
• Working with editors and producers to provide general editorial support on app, book, video, website, and other multimedia projects;
• Working with producers to assist with social media outreach and strategy;
• Working with editors and producers to design apps, books and other print collateral, information graphics, and websites;
• Working with producers to research and help organize the FoST summit;
• Working with senior staff to brainstorm and pitch new business opportunities; and
• Working directly with senior staff members to provide general administrative assistance.
• An interest in digital and social media, storytelling, the editorial process, art, photography, design, and producing the FoST summit;
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience;
• A strong work ethic and the desire to learn; and
• Familiarity with InDesign, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, and HTML is a definite plus.
TO APPLY: Send résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Strong communication skills are essential for this internship. Please make sure your cover letter expresses clearly why you are interested in interning with us.